This is going to be a very DFW heavy article today. Today I went and played one of my favorite courses in the area. Its a great track and it made me think about what my favorite courses in the area are. My list will be a little different than some of the others youve seen.
I wont sit here and lie and act like I have played the best courses in the area. I am what one may say a budget golfer. I have played quite a few courses though and will base my rankings on value and quality. Its a unique way to rank courses.
- Woodbridge– This is the course I played today. I may be suffering from recency bias but in the two times I have played it the course has been in great shape. The first time I played the course the Wylie area was hit with softball size hail. Considering that I couldnt believe how great the greens were. Today the greens rolled true and the fairways allowed pure strikes. It was a great experience. When you play some of the courses I do a nice lush fairway is very nice. Considering I payed 19 dollars for a Sunday round I cant believe the value. The only negative is driving to Wylie
- Tangle Ridge– The course was great. I honestly dont think I have played a course in better shape than Tangle Ridge. It is in a nice community alongside a lake. The lake didnt come into play on the course. The houses didnt line the fairway which is nice. There was a good amount of elevation change as well. It gives a nice view. I paid 35 dollars for a Saturday round. If you told me I could go with 2 rounds at Woodbridge or 1 round at Tangle Ridge I would have to say I would go with 2 rounds at Woodbridge. Thats why I have to give the edge to Woodbridge.
- Cowboys Golf Club– This is the gold standard of public courses in the DFW area. It is usually around $200 but I got a special for $100. We had to play in January so the conditions wernt the best but I can really see the potential of the course. It was in great shape even for December. It is also nice that everything except alcohol is included. You can grab a soda or a hot dog at anytime. When we got there I had pancakes and my dad decided to have a burrito. It was all included in the price. Thats a good deal. Again when basing this ranking I had to think. Would I rathe rhave 4 or 5 rounds at Woodbridge or one at Cowboys. I have to go with Woodbridge.
- Luna Vista– This may surprise a bunch of people. It is a city of Dallas course. It was renovated a while ago. I have only played it as a renovated course. it is the closest course to my house and work. After 4 PM I am able to walk the course for 19 dollars. Thats right. 19 dollars on a very walkable course. Its a very nice course. The course sits in a flood zone so anytime it rains it is very damp. It sucks sometimes. It makes the course conditions bad at times.
- Stevens Park– Another great Dallas course. This course can be expensive but it is worth it. It is a weird quirky course though. The 3rd hole is probably the weirdest golf hole I have ever played. It is a par 4 dog leg right. When I say dog right I mean it takes a 90 degree turn. On top of that the hole goes up about 65 feet. It is crazy. The best part of the course is the views you get of the city. I cant remember what hole but you can look out and see all of the city in its glory. It is breathtaking. The course ran me around 45 bucks. I would rather play Cowboys once than over here twice.
As of now these would be my top 5 courses. It is a great golfing city. I cant wait to play more courses. I have played others but I would have to say these are the top 5. If you are in DFW for a visit try these 3 courses. If you live in DFW give them a go and let me know what you think! If you ever need a 2nd 3rd or 4th let me know so we can tear this city up!